Re: Troubleshooting a segfault and instance crash - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Blair Boadway
Subject Re: Troubleshooting a segfault and instance crash
Date
List pgsql-general

Following up on this thread, we removed pgaudit from the system to eliminate on variable (removed from postgres.conf including shared_preload_libraries) but after a couple of weeks of success we hit the segfault again.  Again it happened while running some DDL (object grants).  This time we were configured to harvest a core file, which gave us a small bit of info:

gdb -q -c core /usr/pgsql-9.6/bin/postgres

Reading symbols from /usr/pgsql-9.6/bin/postgres...(no debugging symbols found)...done.

<many more lines such as this with no debugging symbols found>

Core was generated by `postgres: batch_user_account'.

#0  0x000000386712868a in __strcmp_sse42 () from /lib64/libc.so.6

Missing separate debuginfos, use: debuginfo-install postgresql96-server-9.6.5-1PGDG.rhel6.x86_64

That wasn’t really enough information to tell me what the problem.  Did not have success with installing debuginfo:

Could not find debuginfo for main pkg: postgresql96-server-9.6.5-1PGDG.rhel6.x86_64

Not sure how useful that would be to dig further on.  So it doesn’t seem pgaudit is the culprit but not sure what to make of the strcmp error.

-Blair