Re: Bug report: pgAdmin takes selected portion of query in Query Editor to run - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Trung Do
Subject Re: Bug report: pgAdmin takes selected portion of query in Query Editor to run
Date
List pgadmin-support
I see, thanks for the explanation. It's a strange feature then, since
I accidentally selected part of the query and was so puzzled at the
cryptic error message that followed. And having an error is actually
the best case scenario. I can see someone doing copy/paste operations
to/from this query editor, somehow have part of the query selected but
that part is valid SQL, then run it and have no idea that it's not
running the whole thing. Being sneaky around something that deals with
data is IMO not a good thing. I think it's better if that's an opt-in
behavior instead. Just my 2c.

On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 at 15:36, richard coleman
<rcoleman.ascentgl@gmail.com> wrote:

> That's not a bug, it's a *feature* !!
>
> Seriously though, presently the query window in pgAdmin4 has two options:
> If nothing is selected -> run the entire window
> If something is selected -> run just what's selected.
>
> That's how it's been since, well as long as I can recall.  Unlike some other tools, pgAdmin4 lacks the ability to
"RunSelected" vs. "Run Entire Query Window", so it implements the previously mentioned logic.