Re: NUMERIC type makes trouble in MS Access - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: NUMERIC type makes trouble in MS Access
Date
List pgsql-odbc
Tobias,

On Sun, May 27, 2018 at 5:43 PM, Tobias Wendorff <tobias.wendorff@tu-dortmund.de> wrote:
Dear Jan,

Am So, 27.05.2018, 23:22 schrieb Jan Wieck:

> Nope, please read that again and then compare that statement to
> what you wrote about the "commercial" driver (using double) and
> your suggestion to have a switch to make the PostgreSQL ODBC
> driver do the same (nonsense).

I'm asking you not to be condescending with people who come to
this mailing list with a problem. Not all the members on this
lists senior postgres architects, some are just normal users.

sorry if that came across as condescending. It wasn't meant as such.

My idea for this "nonsense" switch just was a workaround for bad
designed databases schemas or for compatibility reasons with rarely
used closed source applications, such as Microsoft Access.

In my opinion such broad "switches", that then silently mangle over all data, are dangerous at best.

Where is the difference between truncating a number and truncating a date to stop PostgreSQL from complaining about February 31st when importing data from MySQL? Or a switch for the Oracle FDW to replace NUL bytes in VARCHAR2 columns with \x00 sequences?

The only difference I can see is that one is out of PostgreSQL, the other two are into.

Regards, Jan

> But what precision does Access claim to support?

Access 2010 at least can handle a precision of 28 digits.
Actually, that's what you can set on its GUI.

> All I understood so far is that PostgreSQL's NUMERIC without explicit
> precision sometimes overwhelms Access with too many digits after the
> decimal point. If that is accurate you may want to either complain to
> Microsoft about their insufficient implementation of DECIMAL or fix
> the schema of the source database.

I don't think that the database design is broken, since PostgreSQL
supports NUMERIC columns without a specific precision. So all I can
do is: create a VIEW, which rounds or casts my data on the fly to
a format, Access can access via the ODBC driver.

Best regards,
Tobias

--
Jan Wieck