Re: NUMERIC type makes trouble in MS Access - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Tobias Wendorff
Subject Re: NUMERIC type makes trouble in MS Access
Date
Re: NUMERIC type makes trouble in MS Access  (Jan Wieck <jan@wi3ck.info>)
List pgsql-odbc
Dear Jan,

Am So, 27.05.2018, 23:22 schrieb Jan Wieck:

> Nope, please read that again and then compare that statement to
> what you wrote about the "commercial" driver (using double) and
> your suggestion to have a switch to make the PostgreSQL ODBC
> driver do the same (nonsense).

I'm asking you not to be condescending with people who come to
this mailing list with a problem. Not all the members on this
lists senior postgres architects, some are just normal users.

My idea for this "nonsense" switch just was a workaround for bad
designed databases schemas or for compatibility reasons with rarely
used closed source applications, such as Microsoft Access.

> But what precision does Access claim to support?

Access 2010 at least can handle a precision of 28 digits.
Actually, that's what you can set on its GUI.

> All I understood so far is that PostgreSQL's NUMERIC without explicit
> precision sometimes overwhelms Access with too many digits after the
> decimal point. If that is accurate you may want to either complain to
> Microsoft about their insufficient implementation of DECIMAL or fix
> the schema of the source database.

I don't think that the database design is broken, since PostgreSQL
supports NUMERIC columns without a specific precision. So all I can
do is: create a VIEW, which rounds or casts my data on the fly to
a format, Access can access via the ODBC driver.

Best regards,
Tobias