Re: NUMERIC type makes trouble in MS Access - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: NUMERIC type makes trouble in MS Access
Date
List pgsql-odbc

On Sun, May 27, 2018 at 12:35 PM, Tobias Wendorff <tobias.wendorff@tu-dortmund.de> wrote:
Am So, 27.05.2018, 05:18 schrieb Jan Wieck:
> Anything that is exact precision in the database should never
> be handled as "double" in any driver. That is a serious bug and
> a possible violation of accounting laws in many countries.

So SQL_NUMERIC is DOUBLE? Sorry, I'm not an insider ;)

Nope, please read that again and then compare that statement to what you wrote about the "commercial" driver (using double) and your suggestion to have a switch to make the PostgreSQL ODBC driver do the same (nonsense).

Access supports DECIMAL file type with a range from -9.999... x 10^27
to +9.999... x 10^27 while DOUBLE goes from -1.797 x 10^308 to
1.797 x 10^308.

But what precision does Access claim to support?

All I understood so far is that PostgreSQL's NUMERIC without explicit precision sometimes overwhelms Access with too many digits after the decimal point. If that is accurate you may want to either complain to Microsoft about their insufficient implementation of DECIMAL or fix the schema of the source database.

Best Regards,
Jan

Actually, older Access had problems with DECIMAL fields in the past,
maybe those got fixed already?

Best regards,
Tobias

--