Re: Trigger function cannot reference field name with capital letter - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: Trigger function cannot reference field name with capital letter
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi

Thanks all for the help.

BTW, letter casing is just a preference.
Some people liked to use all small caps, some liked to use all big caps.
I sometimes found that mixed case is more meaningful for the filed (eg. serialnumber vs serialNumber)

What is your preference or suggestion?

Camel notation is not practical for SQL identifiers - SQL is not case sensitive, but there are possible exception when you use double quotes. And then usually you can hit a situation when one identifier is in one situation case sensitive and  elsewhere it is translated to lowercase. It is not bug, it has usually good reasons, but it is terrible issue for beginners. So SQL identifiers should be in lowercase or uppercase. Uppercase has bigger sense on Oracle, lowercase on PostgreSQL.

Regards

Pavel

On Thursday, August 14, 2014 12:18 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:

On 8/13/2014 9:13 PM, John R Pierce wrote:

> SELECT * from tbl1 where new."postTimestamp' > timestamp '2014-01-01
> 00:00:00'

oops.

SELECT * from tbl1 where new."postTimestamp" > timestamp '2014-01-01
00:00:00'

I meant.  I should proof what I write, hah!

--
john r pierce                                      37N 122W