Re: Pass where clause to a function - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alban Hertroys
Subject Re: Pass where clause to a function
Date
List pgsql-general
On 14 Aug 2014, at 7:59, Andrew Bartley <ambartley@gmail.com> wrote:

> I need this because it is a customer requirement.  The underlying tables the api will query are dynamically created,
theyare period/content partitioned and distributed across multiple servers and database types... not just postgres.
Theapi/function will determine what servers/databases/tables (some of them are foreign tables) to query based on the
parameterspassed to the api.  The customer wants to use their current reporting tool that does not support function
selects.

Normally the reporting tool handles that sort of thing. I use a couple of reporting tools for work (WebFOCUS and some
BO),both of which have an abstraction layer that places table definitions in specific databases. I haven’t come across
anythat couldn’t handle functions, so I’m curious what kind of reporting tool your customer is using that it can’t?
Perhapsthey need something more capable (in which case I wouldn’t advise BO)?

Alban Hertroys