Re: Again, problem with pgbouncer - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Phoenix Kiula
Subject Re: Again, problem with pgbouncer
Date
Re: [Pgbouncer-general] Again, problem with pgbouncer  (Marko Kreen <markokr@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 11:29 AM, Phoenix Kiula <phoenix.kiula@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 12:59 AM, Phoenix Kiula <phoenix.kiula@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Could you please check permission of /var/run/pgbouncer/ directory. If
>>> pgbouncer directory does not have "postgres" user permissions,please assign
>>> it and then start the pgbouncer.
>>

>> The /var/run/pgbouncer/ directory has
>>
>>    chown -R postgres:postgres ..
>>
>> The port number everywhere is already 6789.
>>
>> What else?
>

> And just to be safe, I also added pgbouncer user to postgres group:
>

>     usermod -a -G postgres pgbouncer
>

> Now when I restart the pgbouncess service, it fails. The log has this message:
>

>     2012-10-01 23:25:24.004 21037 FATAL
>     Cannot open logfile: '/var/log/pgbouncer.log':
>     Permission denied
>

> That file is owned by "postgres:postgres" as indicated in a gazillion
> threads and documentation online (none of which is comprehensive) but
> just to be sure I also did this:
>

>     chown :postgres /var/log/pgbouncer.log
>

> Still the same permission error. Seriously, why can't the log message
> be a little more useful? Why can't it say clearly WHICH USER is
> looking for permission to the log file? Both "pgbouncer" and
> "postgres" have permissions (through the group "postgres") on that
> file. So which is it?

I made the port number 6389 everywhere. I changed the permissions of
the pgbouncer.log to:

   chown pgbouncer:postgres /var/log/pgbouncer.log

Now at least the service starts. But when I try and connect via the
pgbouncer ID:

   psql -p 6389 -U  snipurl_snipurl snipurl

I get this error:

   psql: ERROR:  No such user: MYSITE_MYSITE

And yet, the authfile has this:

    "MYSITE_MYSITE" "<md5 of raw password>"
    "MYSITE_MYSITE" "<raw password>"
    "postgres" "<md5 of string>"
    "MYSITE_pgbouncer" ""

The authfile permissions are:

   283377983 -rw-r--r-- 1 pgbouncer postgres 262 Apr 14 11:15
/var/lib/pgsql/pgbouncer.txt

What else?