Re: Again, problem with pgbouncer - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Phoenix Kiula
Subject Re: Again, problem with pgbouncer
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 12:59 AM, Phoenix Kiula <phoenix.kiula@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Could you please check permission of /var/run/pgbouncer/ directory. If
>> pgbouncer directory does not have "postgres" user permissions,please assign
>> it and then start the pgbouncer.
>

> The /var/run/pgbouncer/ directory has
>
>    chown -R postgres:postgres ..
>
> The port number everywhere is already 6789.
>
> What else?

And just to be safe, I also added pgbouncer user to postgres group:

    usermod -a -G postgres pgbouncer

Now when I restart the pgbouncess service, it fails. The log has this message:

    2012-10-01 23:25:24.004 21037 FATAL
    Cannot open logfile: '/var/log/pgbouncer.log':
    Permission denied

That file is owned by "postgres:postgres" as indicated in a gazillion
threads and documentation online (none of which is comprehensive) but
just to be sure I also did this:

    chown :postgres /var/log/pgbouncer.log

Still the same permission error. Seriously, why can't the log message
be a little more useful? Why can't it say clearly WHICH USER is
looking for permission to the log file? Both "pgbouncer" and
"postgres" have permissions (through the group "postgres") on that
file. So which is it?

Much appreciate any pointers.

Thanks.