Re: Can not start postgresSQL 8.4 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Kellerer
Subject Re: Can not start postgresSQL 8.4
Date
List pgsql-general
Boriss Redkins, 02.10.2012 10:42:
> I've got postgreSQL 8.4 and 91. installed on my Windows 7 machine. 9.1 version starts just fine. But when trying to
start8.4 with:

> Services
> Microsoft Corporation
> Version: 6.1.7600.16385
>
> it does not start and no logs are produced.
>
> When starting in console:
>
> C:\Program Files (x86)\PostgreSQL\8.4\bin>pg_ctl.exe start -D "\Program Files (x
> 86)\PostgreSQL\8.4\data"
> server starting
>
> it starts.
>
> How can I start 8.4 with Services?

Sounds like your service definition is using the wrong user account to start PostgreSQL
(and therefor a possible permission problem on the data directory)

Which Windows user are you using when running pg_ctl from the commandline?

Either that one should be used as the service user, or you need to make sure the user that the service is running under
hasfull access to the data directory.