Re: Installed. Now what? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Phoenix Kiula
Subject Re: Installed. Now what?
Date
List pgsql-general
> 1. Do I need to set up the "/etc/pgbouncer.ini.rpmnew" as
> "/etc/pgbouncer.ini" and then change settings in it? What do I change?
> How? The FAQ is super geeky and unhelpful. As is the sparse info on
> the PG Wiki on pgbouncer. How can I tune pgbouner settings?

Just a quick update. By googling for an hour, I basically set up a
working ini file. It looks like this:

[pgbouncer]
logfile = /var/log/pgbouncer.log
pidfile = /var/run/pgbouncer/pgbouncer.pid
; ip address or * which means all ip-s
listen_addr = 127.0.0.1
listen_port = 6543
auth_type = trust
auth_file = /var/lib/pgsql/pgbouncer.txt

admin_users = postgres
stats_users = stats, root
pool_mode = session
server_reset_query = DISCARD ALL

;;; Connection limits
; total number of clients that can connect
max_client_conn = 100
default_pool_size = 20

So now pgbouncer basically starts. Both processes are running (psql
and pgbouncer) --

service postgres start
service pgbouncer start

When the two "services" are started like the above, are they working
together? The manual says psql should be restarted with the pgbouncer
port number, for these to be working together. But what if my server
does not have a "psql" process, but a service of postgres?

From within my PHP code, if I add the port number of pgbouncer in my
"pg_connect()" function, it does not work.

Thanks for any insight.