Re: Installed. Now what? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Installed. Now what?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Saturday, November 19, 2011 12:20:07 am Phoenix Kiula wrote:

> service postgres start
> service pgbouncer start
>

> When the two "services" are started like the above, are they working
> together? The manual says psql should be restarted with the pgbouncer
> port number, for these to be working together. But what if my server
> does not have a "psql" process, but a service of postgres?

Not all that confusing. Clients talk to pgbouncer, which in turn talks to
server. All the manual is saying is that you need to redirect your requests to
the pgbouncer port from the Postgres port, using psql as an example.

> From within my PHP code, if I add the port number of pgbouncer in my
> "pg_connect()" function, it does not work.

Did you take a look at:

http://pgbouncer.projects.postgresql.org/doc/config.html

I have never used pgbouncer, but from above it would seem you need to set up a
[databases] section to tie pgbouncer to the Postgres server.
See:
SECTION [databases]

--
Adrian Klaver