Re: Thoughts on using Text::Template for our autogenerated code? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From John Naylor
Subject Re: Thoughts on using Text::Template for our autogenerated code?
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Mar 31, 2023 at 4:15 AM Corey Huinker <corey.huinker@gmail.com> wrote:
> For those who already responded, are your concerns limited to the dependency issue? Would you have concerns about a templating library that was developed by us and included in-tree?

Libraries (and abstractions in general) require some mental effort to interface with them (that also means debugging when the output fails to match expectations), not to mention maintenance cost. There has to be a compensating benefit in return. The cost-to-benefit ratio here seems unfavorable -- seems like inventing a machine that ties shoelaces, but we usually wear sandals.

--
John Naylor
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com