Re: DB transactions when browser freezes - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alban Hertroys
Subject Re: DB transactions when browser freezes
Date
List pgsql-general
On 8 August 2013 16:33, dafNi zaf <dzaf88@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello to everybody,

I started to upload (via phpPgAdmin) to a local server a huge file (20GB) in
order to fill up a database.
The uploding completed and the transactions started. But unfortunately, my
browser crashed/freezed in the middle of the transactions.

I wanted to know, given that the uploading of the file was completed, will the
transactions keep executing on server??

Before the browser crashed there was a process that consumed 23.6% of the
CPU for the transactions and now, I see the same process with approximately
the same percentage.

Should I assume that the transactions keep running?

I am trying to avoid uploading the file all over again because it has already been
running for 5 hours.

There is a chance that the database server is just still processing your request and that it will only figure out that there's a client error once it reaches the end of that 20GB file, after which the client returns an error and the database rolls back the transaction.

Depending on how phpPgAdmin/PHP were implemented, that's not necessarily what'll happen though, so you might just get lucky and the transaction commits.

Hard to tell, I know nothing about the internals of phpPgAdmin.

What kind of file is it anyway? A database dump perhaps?