Re: REINDEX VERBOSE iso-8859-1 option - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Geoff Winkless
Subject Re: REINDEX VERBOSE iso-8859-1 option
Date
Re: REINDEX VERBOSE iso-8859-1 option
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 at 22:24, Peter J. Holzer <hjp-pgsql@hjp.at> wrote:

> On 2019-11-18 12:24:40 +0000, Geoff Winkless wrote:
> [...]
> > But if the parentheses are part of the parameter, I think putting the
> > parentheses in the parameter list might be a good compromise.
>
> The parentheses aren't part of the parameter. They are part of the
> syntax of the command.

Then at the very least draw attention to the fact that the parentheses
are required in the description of the parameter in the notes.

It's bad enough that you have the inconsistency that REINDEX VERBOSE
requires parentheses while the more recent REINDEX CONCURRENTLY does
not (presumably to match the syntax of CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY),
without insisting that the user parse the difference between { and (
in the manual (not the easiest difference to scan) before they can use
the command.

> How about this?
>
> * Terminals (stuff that has to be typed as shown) in bold.
>
> * Non-Terminals (stuff which has to be replaced) in italic.
>
> * Meta-characters ([, ], |, ...) in regular type.

Even if you do that you're still requiring the user to parse syntax
according to esoteric rules. I'm not sure that changing the rules
helps that much.

Geoff