Re: REINDEX VERBOSE iso-8859-1 option - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter J. Holzer
Subject Re: REINDEX VERBOSE iso-8859-1 option
Date
List pgsql-general
On 2019-11-18 12:24:40 +0000, Geoff Winkless wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 at 11:46, Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 10:27:24AM +0100, Josef Šimánek wrote:
> > > This is clear once you understand what does it mean. I was aware of VERBOSE
> > > option of EXPLAIN and tried to use it without needed parentheses (the same
> > > way EXPLAIN can understand it). In the parameter list of REINDEX, it is
> > > still called VERBOSE (not "( VERBOSE )") and there's no info
> > > that parentheses are needed.
[...]
> But if the parentheses are part of the parameter, I think putting the
> parentheses in the parameter list might be a good compromise.

The parentheses aren't part of the parameter. They are part of the
syntax of the command.

It might useful to distinguish better between symbols which must be
typed as shown ("REINDEX", "(", ")", etc. in this case) and those which
describe the grammar ("[", "]", "name" in this case).

Maybe print the square brackets in bold and italics like "name"? But
that is just the opposite of the usual convention.

How about this?

* Terminals (stuff that has to be typed as shown) in bold.

* Non-Terminals (stuff which has to be replaced) in italic.

* Meta-characters ([, ], |, ...) in regular type.

        hp

Attachment