Re: Streaming replication, master recycling - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Venkata Balaji N
Subject Re: Streaming replication, master recycling
Date
List pgsql-general

On Sat, May 14, 2016 at 5:38 PM, Venkata Balaji N <nag1010@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 9:04 PM, <fredrik@huitfeldt.com> wrote:
I apologise for the missing data.

we are running 9.1.15 on debian servers.

There is a possibility of making the old master standby if you have promoted standby after clean-shutting down the master. I I tested this in 9.2.x and later versions. This is a manual process in 9.2, i think it is the same in 9.1.x version as well.

The process is -

- Ensure master and standby are in sync before switching over
- Promote standby
- build recovery.conf at old master with the parameter recovery_target_timeline set to 'latest'
- When you start the old master, it will ask for timeline history files which you need to manually transfer from new master
- The old master must become standby

Hope this helps and works in 9.1.x

I have tested this out and this procedure works in 9.1.x version too. So, you will need to shutdown the master first to ensure roles are successfully reversed.

Regards,
Venkata B N

Fujitsu Australia