Re: tx canceled on standby despite infinite max_standby_streaming_delay - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Venkata Balaji N
Subject Re: tx canceled on standby despite infinite max_standby_streaming_delay
Date
List pgsql-general

On Sat, May 14, 2016 at 12:27 PM, Jay Howard <jhoward@alumni.utexas.net> wrote:
I'm seeing long-running transactions (pg_dump) canceled on the standby when there are a lot of inserts happening on the master.  This despite my having set max_standby_streaming_delay to -1 on the standby.

Do you have hot_standby_feedback set to "on" ?

What is the parameter  max_standby_archive_delay configured to ? This will pause WAL archives from being applied when queries are executed on the standby database.

Why might that happen?

This is pg 9.3.12.  When it happens I see:

pg_dump: Dumping the contents of table "TABLE" failed: PQgetResult() failed.
pg_dump: Error message from server: ERROR:  canceling statement due to conflict with recovery
DETAIL:  User query might have needed to see row versions that must be removed.
pg_dump: The command was: COPY public.TABLE (COLUMNS) TO stdout;

I suspect this is due to the clean up by VACUUM on primary.

Regards,
Venkata B N

Fujitsu Australia