Re: Odd postgres12 upgrade is changing or munging a password? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tory M Blue
Subject Re: Odd postgres12 upgrade is changing or munging a password?
Date
List pgsql-general

On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 12:32 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 5/7/20 12:24 PM, Tory M Blue wrote:
> Yes same password, I'm using a basic alter command to put the right
> password back.
>
> I'm doing another upgrade in an hour, and will do some more checks to
> see if it's trying to use another password or what. I obviously can't
> read the password from the file , so knowing if it's munged or other,
> I'm not sure is possible.
>
> Upgrade command i'm running
>
> time /usr/pgsql-12/bin/pg_upgrade --old-bindir /usr/pgsql-9.5/bin/
> --new-bindir /usr/pgsql-12/bin/ --old-datadir /pgsql/9.5/data
> --new-datadir /pgsql/12/data --link
>
> So it's very odd. and I've not experienced this in other environments,
> it's just this one. Now it's a bigger data set, but very odd.

Anything different about this environment e.g. locale?

What is the encoding/character set for the database?

> I'm also not seeing any other data issues, just seems to be this one
> password.

I'm assuming you have super user access so you could look at the
password in:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/view-pg-shadow.html

on the old server and then on the new server.

It absolutely did change the password. Only 1 password out of 4 accounts, but it changed it. The MD5 is different so this is verified. But why, how?

Tory