Re: Odd postgres12 upgrade is changing or munging a password? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Odd postgres12 upgrade is changing or munging a password?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 5/7/20 12:24 PM, Tory M Blue wrote:
> Yes same password, I'm using a basic alter command to put the right
> password back.
>
> I'm doing another upgrade in an hour, and will do some more checks to
> see if it's trying to use another password or what. I obviously can't
> read the password from the file , so knowing if it's munged or other,
> I'm not sure is possible.
>
> Upgrade command i'm running
>
> time /usr/pgsql-12/bin/pg_upgrade --old-bindir /usr/pgsql-9.5/bin/
> --new-bindir /usr/pgsql-12/bin/ --old-datadir /pgsql/9.5/data
> --new-datadir /pgsql/12/data --link
>
> So it's very odd. and I've not experienced this in other environments,
> it's just this one. Now it's a bigger data set, but very odd.

Anything different about this environment e.g. locale?

What is the encoding/character set for the database?

> I'm also not seeing any other data issues, just seems to be this one
> password.

I'm assuming you have super user access so you could look at the
password in:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/view-pg-shadow.html

on the old server and then on the new server.

> Thanks,
>
> If there are commands I can run on the data before I do an alter, to
> give someone more info, let me know
>
> Tory
>
> On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 12:08 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com
>
>     On 5/7/20 11:55 AM, Tory M Blue wrote:
>      > Going from 9.5 to 12 and 2 times now, I've had a password either go
>      > missing or munged. I've had to add an alter statement at the end
>     of the
>      > upgrade.
>
>     What are the commands you are using?
>
>     Is it the same password?
>
>      >
>      > The DB is functioning fine, shut it down, do the upgrade and the
>      > password is munged. Seems like an odd occurrence, we have not
>     noted any
>      > other weird issues.
>      >
>      > Anyone else see or hear of this?