Re: Tab completion for CREATE SEQUENCE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Brendan Jurd
Subject Re: Tab completion for CREATE SEQUENCE
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 16 Jun 2015 at 00:52 Vik Fearing <vik@2ndquadrant.fr> wrote:
While reviewing the seqam patches, I noticed that psql has tab
completion for ALTER SEQUENCE, but not for CREATE SEQUENCE.

The attached trivial patch fixes that.

Hi Vik,

I'm doing an initial review of this patch.

It applies cleanly, although for some reason the patch seems to introduce carriage returns in the line endings.  `patch` warned about those and then very sensibly ignored them.  Everything compiled fine after applying.

The new code's style is not quite in accordance with the surrounds.  I think that the comments introducing each section should be de-indented to the first column.

"RESTART", "SET SCHEMA", "OWNER TO", and "RENAME TO" are not valid completions for CREATE SEQUENCE.  It looks like these have been blindly copy-pasted from ALTER SEQUENCE.  Likewise, the valid completion "START [WITH]" is missing.

"CREATE TEMP[ORARY] SEQUENCE" is not supported, and I think it probably should be.  I think that the patch could be improved with support for the TEMP form fairly easily.

Apart from the above points, the new completions worked as advertised.

Docs: none needed.

Tests: we don't currently have any test coverage for psql tab completion.

I'm marking this "Waiting on Author".  Once the problems have been corrected, it should be ready for a committer.

Cheers,
BJ