Re: proposal: psql \setfileref - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Corey Huinker
Subject Re: proposal: psql \setfileref
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Oct 9, 2016 at 11:26 PM, Jim Nasby <Jim.Nasby@bluetreble.com> wrote:
On 10/9/16 9:54 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
I understand, but I am not sure how difficult implementation it is. This part
> (COPY input) doesn't support parametrization - and parametrization can have a
> negative performance impact.
And it would need to be \:file_ref in COPY so real data doesn't trigger
it.

ISTM it'd be much saner to just restrict file ref's to only working with psql's \COPY, and not server-side COPY.

Which is a great discussion for the thread on "COPY as a set returning function". I didn't mean to hijack this thread with a misguided tie-in.