Re: Slowness of extended protocol - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Shay Rojansky
Subject Re: Slowness of extended protocol
Date
Re: Slowness of extended protocol  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 12:12 PM, Vladimir Sitnikov <sitnikov.vladimir@gmail.com> wrote:

> The attached patch passes `make check` and it gains 31221 -> 33547 improvement for "extended pgbench of SELECT 1".
> The same version gains 35682 in "simple" mode, and "prepared" mode achieves 46367 (just in case).

That's great, thanks for looking into it! I hope your patch gets merged.

> Shay, why don't you use a profiler? Seriously.
> I'm afraid "iterate the per-message loop in PostgresMain five times not once" /"just discussing what may or may not be a problem..."  is just hand-waving.
> Come on, it is not that hard.

I really don't get what's problematic with posting a message on a mailing list about a potential performance issue, to try to get people's reactions, without diving into profiling right away. I'm not a PostgreSQL developer, have other urgent things to do and don't even spend most of my programming time in C.