Re: Slowness of extended protocol - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Slowness of extended protocol
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 2:00 PM, Shay Rojansky <roji@roji.org> wrote:
>> Shay, why don't you use a profiler? Seriously.
>> I'm afraid "iterate the per-message loop in PostgresMain five times not
>> once" /"just discussing what may or may not be a problem..."  is just
>> hand-waving.
>>
>> Come on, it is not that hard.
>
> I really don't get what's problematic with posting a message on a mailing
> list about a potential performance issue, to try to get people's reactions,
> without diving into profiling right away. I'm not a PostgreSQL developer,
> have other urgent things to do and don't even spend most of my programming
> time in C.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.  I find your questions
helpful and interesting and I hope you will keep asking them.  I think
that they are a valuable contribution to the discussion on this list.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company