Re: Slowness of extended protocol - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Vladimir Sitnikov
Subject Re: Slowness of extended protocol
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I really don't get what's problematic with posting a message on a mailing list about a potential performance issue, to try to get people's reactions, without diving into profiling right away

"Benchmark data is a perfect substitute for benchmarking results. Data is easy to misinterpret, so try not to do that." (see [1], and slide 73 of [2])

The key points are:
0) It is extremely easy to take a wrong way unless you analyze the benchmark results.
1) If you (or someone else) thinks that "ok, the original email did meet its goal, as Vladimir did provide a patch with measurements", then I failed.
The only reason for me doing the benchmark and patch was to teach you how to do that.
2) Have you seen recent discussion "TODO item: Implement Boyer-Moore searching in LIKE queries" on the list?
It does include relevant details right from the start.

I'm not a PostgreSQL developer
Neither am I.

I have other urgent things to do
So do I.

and don't even spend most of my programming time in C.

Java and SQL covers 99% of my time.

Vladimir