Re: [RFC] How about changing the default value of defaultRowFetchSize? - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Dave Cramer
Subject Re: [RFC] How about changing the default value of defaultRowFetchSize?
Date
List pgsql-jdbc

On 23 October 2016 at 23:12, Tsunakawa, Takayuki <tsunakawa.takay@jp.fujitsu.com> wrote:
From: pgsql-jdbc-owner@postgresql.org
> [mailto:pgsql-jdbc-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Dave Cramer
>       ​defaultRowFetchSize is not an internal number.​ If you set the
> property you get the value of the property.
>

> That I agree with. If you don't set it you get 0

You will get the value of defaultRowFetchSize if you don't call setFetchSize(), and the default value of defaultRowFetchSize will be, say, 100.  As I mentioned in the previous mail, I think getFetchSize() returns the actual number of rows, not the hint (0).

This is what I take issue with. It should return 0 which means that it has not been set. What use is it to the user ?

Any comments on the default value of defaultRowFetchSize?  There was a request for 1,000.  I think 100 would be sufficient, considering the typical web pagination, for example.  Those who want to speed up batch apps by reducing round trips can find the parameter and/or setFetchSize() and use them.

1000 has been determined to be optimal. Both Vladimir and I have done performance testing on this. Also it won't matter to the user, since if they only have 100 rows they will only get 100 rows back anyway. 1000 rows should be able to fit into any reasonable client machines memory