Re: How can we submit code patches that implement our (pending) patents? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dave Cramer
Subject Re: How can we submit code patches that implement our (pending) patents?
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 4 July 2018 at 21:15, Tsunakawa, Takayuki <tsunakawa.takay@jp.fujitsu.com> wrote:
From: Craig Ringer [mailto:craig@2ndquadrant.com]
> I'm assuming you don't want to offer a grant that lets anyone use them for
> anything. But if you have a really broad grant to PostgreSQL, all someone
> would have to do to inherit the grant is re-use some part of PostgreSQL.

Your assumption is right.  No scope is the same as no patent; it won't help to defend PostgreSQL community against rival companies/communities of other DBMSs.  Or, I think we can set the scope to what OIN states.  Fortunately, anyone can join OIN free of charge.

> I guess there's a middle ground somewhere that protects substantial
> derivatives and extracts but stops you using some Pg code snippets as a
> freebie license.

Are you assuming that developers want to use PG code snippets for non-PostgreSQL or even non-DBMS software?  I believe that accepting patented code from companies would be practically more useful for PostgreSQL enhancement and growth.  PostgreSQL is now a mature software, and it can be more corporate-friendly like other software under Apache License.

Certainly there is history of people using PG code for non-PostgreSQL or at least commercial derivative work. Greenplum for example.