RE: How can we submit code patches that implement our (pending)patents? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tsunakawa, Takayuki
Subject RE: How can we submit code patches that implement our (pending)patents?
Date
Re: How can we submit code patches that implement our (pending)patents?  (David Fetter <david@fetter.org>)
Re: How can we submit code patches that implement our (pending)patents?  (Nico Williams <nico@cryptonector.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
From: Craig Ringer [mailto:craig@2ndquadrant.com]
> I'm assuming you don't want to offer a grant that lets anyone use them for
> anything. But if you have a really broad grant to PostgreSQL, all someone
> would have to do to inherit the grant is re-use some part of PostgreSQL.

Your assumption is right.  No scope is the same as no patent; it won't help to defend PostgreSQL community against
rivalcompanies/communities of other DBMSs.  Or, I think we can set the scope to what OIN states.  Fortunately, anyone
canjoin OIN free of charge.

> I guess there's a middle ground somewhere that protects substantial
> derivatives and extracts but stops you using some Pg code snippets as a
> freebie license.

Are you assuming that developers want to use PG code snippets for non-PostgreSQL or even non-DBMS software?  I believe
thataccepting patented code from companies would be practically more useful for PostgreSQL enhancement and growth.
PostgreSQLis now a mature software, and it can be more corporate-friendly like other software under Apache License.

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa