Re: New role, no database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Melvin Call
Subject Re: New role, no database
Date
List pgsql-general
On 5/23/13, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 3:01 PM, Melvin Call <melvincall979@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a question for which I am unable to find an answer in the
>> documentation, if y'all don't mind, I will ask here and hope for an
>> answer.
>>
>> After installing PostgreSQL and logging in as the admin user of
>> postgres, I have created a new user with the CREATEDB privilege. How
>> does that user log in for the first time to create a DB? Am I required
>> to create a default user DB when I create the user, or is there a way
>> to log in with no default DB?
>
> The default db is your username, so they can just run "createdb" with
> no arguments. That will create a db as their unix username.  For
> instance if you create a user named "smarlowee" adn that's their unix
> username then they can just run createdb and it will create a db named
> smarlowe for them.

Thanks Scott. That seems like it would work too, but then I have an
unused database laying around, don't I? I realize the resources are
minuscule, but I don't like having things on production systems that
don't need to be there if I can help it.

Out of curiosity, what would be the proper steps if there was no
CREATEDB privilege for the role? I'm creating a user that will have
all of the create privileges (which prompted my first question), and I
expect to create another user that just has just the minimal
privileges necessary for that database. Obviously the minimal user
will have the admin created DB to connect to, so my question may be
moot, eh?