Re: New role, no database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: New role, no database
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 3:01 PM, Melvin Call <melvincall979@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a question for which I am unable to find an answer in the
> documentation, if y'all don't mind, I will ask here and hope for an
> answer.
>
> After installing PostgreSQL and logging in as the admin user of
> postgres, I have created a new user with the CREATEDB privilege. How
> does that user log in for the first time to create a DB? Am I required
> to create a default user DB when I create the user, or is there a way
> to log in with no default DB?

The default db is your username, so they can just run "createdb" with
no arguments. That will create a db as their unix username.  For
instance if you create a user named "smarlowee" adn that's their unix
username then they can just run createdb and it will create a db named
smarlowe for them.