Re: test_decoding assertion failure for the loss of top-sub transaction relationship - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Masahiko Sawada
Subject Re: test_decoding assertion failure for the loss of top-sub transaction relationship
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Sep 7, 2022 at 11:06 AM kuroda.hayato@fujitsu.com
<kuroda.hayato@fujitsu.com> wrote:

> Dear Amit,
>
> Thanks for giving comments!
>
> > Did you get this new assertion failure after you applied the patch for
> > the first failure? Because otherwise, how can you reach it with the
> > same test case?
>
> The first failure is occurred only in the HEAD, so I did not applied the first patch
> to REL14 and REL15.
> This difference is caused because the commit [Fix catalog lookup...] in REL15(272248a) and older is different
> from the HEAD one.
> In order versions SnapBuildXidSetCatalogChanges() has been added. In the function
> a transaction will be marked as containing catalog changes if the transaction is in InitialRunningXacts,
> and after that the relation between sub-top transactions is assigned based on the parsed->subxact.
> The marking avoids the first failure, but the assignment triggers new failure.

FYI, as I just replied to the related thread[1], the assertion failure
in REL14 and REL15 can be fixed by the patch proposed there. So I'd
like to see how the discussion goes. Regardless of this proposed fix,
the patch proposed by Kuroda-san is required for HEAD, REL14, and
REL15, in order to fix the assertion failure in SnapBuildCommitTxn().

Regards,

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAD21AoA1gV9pfu8hoXpTQBWH8uEMRg_F_MKM%2BU3Sr0HnyH4AUQ%40mail.gmail.com

--
Masahiko Sawada