Re: PostgreSQL Logical decoding - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: PostgreSQL Logical decoding
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Oct 12, 2022 at 10:09 AM Ankit Oza <ankit.p.oza@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Ashutosh,
>
> Actually we use the Postgres service offered by Azure (Flexible server). So, I was looking at the following
documentationwhich talks about Logical Replication and Logical Decoding as two different methods of replication. Here
Logicalreplication talks about creating both Publisher and Subscriber settings using simple SQL statements. While for
Logicaldecoding its talking about publishing WAL but not on how to consume this WAL.
> Logical replication and logical decoding - Azure Database for PostgreSQL - Flexible Server | Microsoft Learn
>
> Also Logical Replication has some limitations like materialized views, sequences being not replicated. While DDL
changespropagation is a common deficiency among both Logical decoding and Logical Replication. Am I reading this
correctly?
> PostgreSQL: Documentation: 12: 30.4. Restrictions
>
> With this reading I thought Logical decoding may be the way to go. However please guide us on our understanding.

Those restrictions (sequences, materialized views, etc.) apply to
logical decoding as well. We don't support decoding operations on
those objects.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.