Re: [PoC] Improve dead tuple storage for lazy vacuum - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Masahiko Sawada
Subject Re: [PoC] Improve dead tuple storage for lazy vacuum
Date
Re: [PoC] Improve dead tuple storage for lazy vacuum  (John Naylor <johncnaylorls@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jan 22, 2024 at 5:18 PM John Naylor <johncnaylorls@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 22, 2024 at 2:24 PM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > For the next version patch, I'll work on this idea and try to clean up
> > locking stuff both in tidstore and radix tree. Or if you're already
> > working on some of them, please let me know. I'll review it.
>
> Okay go ahead, sounds good. I plan to look at the tests since they
> haven't been looked at in a while.

I've attached the latest patch set. Here are updates from v54 patch:

0005 - Expose radix tree lock functions and remove all locks taken
internally in radixtree.h.
0008 - Remove tidstore's control object.
0009 - Add tidstore lock functions.
0011 - Add VacDeadItemsInfo to store "max_bytes" and "num_items"
separate from TidStore. Also make lazy vacuum and parallel vacuum use
it.

The new patches probably need to be polished but the VacDeadItemInfo
idea looks good to me.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada