Re: Perform streaming logical transactions by background workers and parallel apply - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Masahiko Sawada
Subject Re: Perform streaming logical transactions by background workers and parallel apply
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Dec 26, 2022 at 10:29 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 26, 2022 at 6:33 PM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > ---
> > +        if (!pa_can_start(xid))
> > +                return;
> > +
> > +        /* First time through, initialize parallel apply worker state
> > hashtable. */
> > +        if (!ParallelApplyTxnHash)
> > +        {
> > +                HASHCTL                ctl;
> > +
> > +                MemSet(&ctl, 0, sizeof(ctl));
> > +                ctl.keysize = sizeof(TransactionId);
> > +                ctl.entrysize = sizeof(ParallelApplyWorkerEntry);
> > +                ctl.hcxt = ApplyContext;
> > +
> > +                ParallelApplyTxnHash = hash_create("logical
> > replication parallel apply workershash",
> > +
> >              16, &ctl,
> > +
> >              HASH_ELEM |HASH_BLOBS | HASH_CONTEXT);
> > +        }
> > +
> > +        /*
> > +         * It's necessary to reread the subscription information
> > before assigning
> > +         * the transaction to a parallel apply worker. Otherwise, the
> > leader may
> > +         * not be able to reread the subscription information if streaming
> > +         * transactions keep coming and are handled by parallel apply workers.
> > +         */
> > +        maybe_reread_subscription();
> >
> > pa_can_start() checks if the skiplsn is an invalid xid or not, and
> > then maybe_reread_subscription() could update the skiplsn to a valid
> > value. As the comments in pa_can_start() says, it won't work. I think
> > we should call maybe_reread_subscription() in
> > apply_handle_stream_start() before calling pa_allocate_worker().
> >

> But I think a similar thing can happen when we start the worker and
> then before the transaction ends, we do maybe_reread_subscription().

Where do we do maybe_reread_subscription() in this case? IIUC if the
leader sends all changes to the worker, there is no chance for the
leader to do maybe_reread_subscription except for when waiting for the
input. On reflection, adding maybe_reread_subscription() to
apply_handle_stream_start() adds one extra call of it so it's not
good. Alternatively, we can do that in pa_can_start() before checking
the skiplsn. I think we do a similar thing in AllTablesyncsRead() --
update the information before the check if necessary.

> I think we should try to call maybe_reread_subscription() when we are
> reasonably sure that we are going to enter parallel mode, otherwise,
> anyway, it will be later called by the leader worker.

It isn't a big problem even if we update the skiplsn after launching a
worker since we will skip the transaction the next time. But it would
be more consistent with the current behavior. As I mentioned above,
doing it in pa_can_start() seems to be reasonable to me. What do you
think?

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada