Re: COPY table FROM STDIN doesn't show count tag - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Khandekar
Subject Re: COPY table FROM STDIN doesn't show count tag
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 21 November 2013 10:13, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Amit Khandekar <amit.khandekar@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> Rather than a behaviour change, it is a bug that we are fixing. User
> already expects to see copy status printed, so as per user there would be
> no behaviour change.

This is arrant nonsense.  It's a behavior change.  You can't make it
not that by claiming something about user expectations.  Especially
since this isn't exactly a corner case that nobody has seen in
the fifteen years or so that it's worked like that.  People do know
how this works.

Yes, I agree that this is not a corner case, so users may already know the current behaviour.

I don't object to changing it, but I do agree with Robert that it's
important to quantize such changes, ie, try to get a set of related
changes to appear in the same release.  People don't like repeatedly
revising their code for such things.

Ok. we will then first fix the \COPY TO issue where it does not revert back the overriden psql output file handle. Once this is solved, fix for both COPY FROM and COPY TO, like how it is done in the patch earlier (copydefectV2.patch).