Re: Code of Conduct plan - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Benjamin Scherrey
Subject Re: Code of Conduct plan
Date
Re: Code of Conduct plan  (Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie>)
Re: Code of Conduct plan  (Christophe Pettus <xof@thebuild.com>)
List pgsql-general

On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 10:37 PM, Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> wrote:
It is of course possible that a member of the committee could act in
bad faith for any number of reasons. You can say the same thing about
any position of leadership or authority within the community, though.
That hasn't really been much of a problem in my experience, and I see
no reason for particular concern about it here.

I thought the same thing as a member of the Django community. It adopted a CoC that I vocally warned was dangerous and far more likely to be abused than provide any benefit. I was shocked when the very first time it was ever invoked it was by one of the founders of the project (whom I previously personally respected) and it was absolutely used in the manner that I had feared which was to shut someone up whose opinion he did not like rather than any legitimate concern. Unfortunately this is not such an unusual circumstance as one might hope in these projects or conferences. It is impossible to separate the concept of political correctness from these CoCs I find and they are much more dangerous things than they appear. We should tread with extreme cautious about adopting such a thing.

  -- Ben Scherrey