Re: [HACKERS] GSOC Introduction / Eliminate O(N^2) scaling fromrw-conflict tracking in serializable transactions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: [HACKERS] GSOC Introduction / Eliminate O(N^2) scaling fromrw-conflict tracking in serializable transactions
Date
In response to [HACKERS] GSOC Introduction / Eliminate O(N^2) scaling from rw-conflict tracking in serializable transactions  (George Papadrosou <gpapadrosou@gmail.com>)
Responses Re: [HACKERS] GSOC Introduction / Eliminate O(N^2) scaling fromrw-conflict tracking in serializable transactions  ("Mengxing Liu" <liu-mx15@mails.tsinghua.edu.cn>)
List pgsql-hackers
[including Mengxing Liu in response, for reasons that should become
obvious below...]

Hi George,

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 6:49 PM, George Papadrosou <gpapadrosou@gmail.com> wrote:

> my name is George Papadrosou, this is my first semester as
> graduate student at Georgia Tech and would like to submit a
> proposal to Google Summer of Code, for the project "Eliminate
> O(N^2) scaling from rw-conflict tracking in serializable
> transactions”.

I was recently contacted off-list by Mengxing Liu, who has been
looking at the same project, and said he was planning to submit a
GSoC proposal.  Rather than have one of you sit this out, do either
of you feel comfortable taking a different project instead?  Since
you've both been looking at the serializable code and supporting
documents, perhaps one of you could change to the other suggested
Serializable project?

> I am going to prepare a draft proposal for this project and share
> it with you soon. The project’s description is pretty clear, do
> you think it should be more strictly defined in the proposal?

At a minimum, the proposal should include list of milestones you
expect to reach along the way, and a timeline indicating when you
expect to reach them.  Some description of the benchmarks you intend
to run would be also be very good.

> Until then, I would like to familiarize myself a bit with the
> codebase and fix some bug/todo. I didn’t find many [E] marked
> tasks in the todo list so the task I was thinking is "\s without
> arguments (display history) fails with libedit, doesn't use pager
> either - psql \s not working on OSX”. However, it works on my OSX
> El Capitan laptop with Postgres 9.4.4. Would you suggest some
> other starter task?

There is a CommitFest in progress; reviewing patches is a good way
to become involved and familiar with the community processes.

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/CommitFest

--
Kevin Grittner