Re: [HACKERS] Re: proposal - psql: possibility to specify sort fordescribe commands, when size is printed - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: proposal - psql: possibility to specify sort fordescribe commands, when size is printed
Date
In response to Re: [HACKERS] Re: proposal - psql: possibility to specify sort fordescribe commands, when size is printed  (Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com>)
Responses Re: [HACKERS] Re: proposal - psql: possibility to specify sort fordescribe commands, when size is printed  (Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers

On 2/24/17 16:32, Pavel Stehule wrote:
>     set EXTENDED_DESCRIBE_SORT size_desc
>     \dt+
>     \l+
>     \di+
>
>     Possible variants: schema_table, table_schema, size_desc, size_asc

I can see this being useful, but I think it needs to be organized a
little better.

Sort key and sort direction should be separate settings.

ok

maybe

PREFERRED_SORT_COLUMNS
and PREFERRED_SORT_DIRECTION ?

I'm not sure why we need to have separate settings to sort by schema
name and table name.  But if we do, then we should support that for all
object types.  I think maybe that's something we shouldn't get into
right now.

It can be useful, when you repeat one table name in more schema - usually, where schema is related per one customer, project, ...

Regards

Pavel

So I would have one setting for sort key = {name|size} and on for sort
direction = {asc|desc}.

--
Peter Eisentraut              http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/