Postgresql Installation -- Red Hat vs OpenSUSE vs Ubuntu - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Convey
Subject Postgresql Installation -- Red Hat vs OpenSUSE vs Ubuntu
Date
List pgsql-general
Forgive my ignorance, but I'm new to PostgreSQL. Regarding installation, I'm trying to understand some of the differences between Red Hat, Ubuntu, and OpenSUSE. My goal is to set up a self-contained lab instance for learning on each distribution. So, I assume I'll need both the client and server on each, right? From www.postgresql.org, the "most common and important packages"​ for these distributions and their installation instructions are as follows:

Red Hat: http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/redhat/
yum install postgresql-server postgresql-client postgresql-contrib postgresql-devel pgadmin3

Ubuntu: http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/ubuntu/
apt-get postgresql-client-9.4 postgresql-9.4 postgresql-contrib-9.4 libpq-dev postgresql-server-dev-9.4 pgadmin3

Unlike the postgresql.org webpages for Red Hat and Ubuntu, the OpenSUSE webpage, doesn't provide a list of the "most common and important" packages to get postgresql up and running. Instead, it refers me to this webpage:

That webpage list a lot of postgresql package groups (with sub-packages). Are the postgresql packages that are included in the default OpenSUSE repositories the group of packages displayed as "postgesql" near the upper-left corner of that webpage? If so, why doesn't the http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/suse/ webpage list the "most common and important" packaged like the http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/redhat/ and http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/ubuntu/ webpages? The http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/suse/ webpage is not very user friendly for new users.

Also, are the following equivalent?

Red Hat                    Ubuntu
postgresql-server       postgresql-9.4
postgresql-client        postgresql-client-9.4
postgresql-contrib      postgresql-contrib-9.4
postgresql-devel        postgresql-server-dev-9.4 libpq-dev
pgadmin3                  pgadmin3

Does the Red Hat postgresql-devel package include the same programs as Ubuntu's postgresql-server-dev-9.4 and libpq-dev packages?

What would be the OpenSUSE command to install the "most common and important packages" that are equivalent to the Red Hat and Ubuntu packages listed above?

zypper install ...  ?