Re: Postgresql Installation -- Red Hat vs OpenSUSE vs Ubuntu - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Postgresql Installation -- Red Hat vs OpenSUSE vs Ubuntu
Date
List pgsql-general

https://software.opensuse.org/search?q=postgresql&baseproject=openSUSE%3A13.2&search_devel=false&search_unsupported=false

> That webpage list a lot of postgresql package groups (with
> sub-packages). Are the postgresql packages that are included in the
> default OpenSUSE repositories the group of packages displayed as
> "postgesql" near the upper-left corner of that webpage? If so, why

See my answer further below.

> doesn't the http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/suse/ webpage list
> the "most common and important" packaged like the
> http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/redhat/ and
> http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/ubuntu/ webpages? The
> http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/suse/ webpage is not very user
> friendly for new users.
>
> Also, are the following equivalent?
>
> Red Hat                    Ubuntu
> postgresql-server       postgresql-9.4
> postgresql-client        postgresql-client-9.4
> postgresql-contrib      postgresql-contrib-9.4
> postgresql-devel        postgresql-server-dev-9.4 libpq-dev
> pgadmin3                  pgadmin3

The RH family(CentOS/SL/Fedora) version is going to determine the actual
Postgres version for the default repos.  So what the package provides is
going to be roughly equivalent, it just may not be 9.4. See below for
the mapping:

http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/redhat/

If you install from the Postgres yum repos then you will have more
choice of versions.

> Does the Red Hat postgresql-devel package include the same programs as
> Ubuntu's postgresql-server-dev-9.4 and libpq-dev packages?

I would say yes. Once the packages are installed use the appropriate
package manager to take a look.

> What would be the OpenSUSE command to install the "most common and
> important packages" that are equivalent to the Red Hat and Ubuntu
> packages listed above?
>
> zypper install ...  ?

You could do:

zypper search postgresql

That will show whatever is the default for the SuSE version you are on.
On my openSUSE 13.2 machine that is Postgres 9.3 something. If you go to
the Open Build Service search link shown above and search on Postgresql
there is 9.4 available. Since it is not the  version pegged to the SuSE
release you will need to click the 'Show unstable packages' to show it.
Click the 1 Click Install link and it will add the repo to your zypper
repos in /etc/zypp. Basically, you will be using the
server:database:postgresql repo instead of the SuSE version repo. Then
you can run zypper refresh and install the version you want. SuSE uses
RPMs so the package names and their functions are almost identical to
the RH naming.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com