Re: nextval parameter is not clear - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Kirk Wolak
Subject Re: nextval parameter is not clear
Date
List pgsql-docs
On Mon, Nov 28, 2022 at 12:45 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> writes:
> Now I think that is taking it too far.  Your code sample would be great
> for a tutorial, but it is too elaborate for the technical documentation.
> The example should focus on the sequence functions, but more than half
> of the code describes other parts of PostgreSQL:

Yeah, that stuff seems quite out of place here.

> I am alright with having a CREATE TABLE with a DEFAULT and an INSERT or two;
> whatever it takes to show the functions in a realistic scenario.
> For example, you could INSERT a row that overrides the DEFAULT, then call
> "setval()" to readjust the sequence.

I don't believe we have such detail around very many, if indeed any,
of our other functions' documentation.

                        regards, tom lane

my goal is to get an "approach" accepted, this is the first.  Ultimately, I would love to see
the documentation of functions with examples like this everywhere.  Preferably where someone
can copy/paste the example and see the results.  And I fully intend to create them all myself,
if that's what it takes. But I would prefer the hard work now, and then I can stream-line the process.

The driver was my own frustration when I first started learning PG and the lack of concrete examples.
How are these things used, in context?  [I learn through reading code]