Re: nextval parameter is not clear - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: nextval parameter is not clear
Date
Re: nextval parameter is not clear  (Kirk Wolak <wolakk@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-docs
Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> writes:
> Now I think that is taking it too far.  Your code sample would be great
> for a tutorial, but it is too elaborate for the technical documentation.
> The example should focus on the sequence functions, but more than half
> of the code describes other parts of PostgreSQL:

Yeah, that stuff seems quite out of place here.

> I am alright with having a CREATE TABLE with a DEFAULT and an INSERT or two;
> whatever it takes to show the functions in a realistic scenario.
> For example, you could INSERT a row that overrides the DEFAULT, then call
> "setval()" to readjust the sequence.

I don't believe we have such detail around very many, if indeed any,
of our other functions' documentation.

            regards, tom lane