Re: Archiving and recovering pg_stat_tmp - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sameer Thakur
Subject Re: Archiving and recovering pg_stat_tmp
Date
List pgsql-general

>"You need to have statistics recovered to the same state as they were
>when you took the FS level backup of your database after shutting down
>the server."
    Correct

>"Shutting down" is important since that is when you would have
>statistics files ($PGDATA/pg_stat/*.stat) available to backup. They
>capture the statistics as of when the server was shut down.
Agreed

   >What I did:

>1) Collect a few statistics in a result file from a currently running
>server. For example, the result of the query "select * from
>pg_stat_user_tables", into say stats1.txt

>2) Clean shut down the server. Take a snapshot of the data directory,
>"cp -r $pgdata $pgbkp"

>3) Start the server and run a few pgbench tests so that statistics
>change. Again collect stats, same as in (1) into say stats2.txt

>4) Write $pgbkp/recovery.conf with appropriate restore_command and
>maybe recovery target (PITR), which I did not, though. Note that we
>have archiving enabled.

>5) Start the server using -D $pgbkp (may be with port changed for the
>sake of testing).

>6) After server started in (5) is done recovering and comes online,
>collect stats again into say stats3.txt

>7) Compare stats3.txt with stats1.txt and stats2.txt.

>8) I observed that stats3.txt == stats1.txt. That is stats after
>recovery are same as they were when the snapshot was taken.

Thank you for all the effort! A question
  When server was restarted in (5) which stats file was loaded stats1.txt or stats.2.txt?. I think it must have been stats1.txt as stats3.txt = stats1.txt. What happens if stats2.txt is loaded on (5) instead on stats1.txt? I am trying to figure out if the Server will reject stats file from a different timeline than the one its been rolled back to.
regards
Sameer