Re: Providing catalog view to pg_hba.conf file - Patch submission - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Providing catalog view to pg_hba.conf file - Patch submission
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 12:48 PM, Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 27.2.2015 17:59, Stephen Frost wrote:
> All,
>
> * Tomas Vondra (tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
>>
>> The other feature that'd be cool to have is a debugging function
>> on top of the view, i.e. a function pg_hba_check(host, ip, db,
>> user, pwd) showing which hba rule matched. But that's certainly
>> nontrivial.
>
> I'm not sure that I see why, offhand, it'd be much more than trivial

>From time to time I have to debug why are connection attempts failing,
and with moderately-sized pg_hba.conf files (e.g. on database servers
shared by multiple applications) that may be tricky. Identifying the
rule that matched (and rejected) the connection would be helpful.

If you did actually get a rejected connection, you get that in the log (as of 9.3, iirc). Such a function would make it possible to test it without having failed first though :)