Re: logical column ordering - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: logical column ordering
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 26.2.2015 23:36, Tom Lane wrote:
> Jim Nasby <Jim.Nasby@BlueTreble.com> writes:
>
>>> The reason for doing it this way is that changing the underlying
>>> architecture is really hard, without having to bear an endless hackers
>>> bike shed discussion about the best userland syntax to use.  It seems a
>>> much better approach to do the actually difficult part first, then let
>>> the rest to be argued to death by others and let those others do the
>>> easy part (and take all the credit along with that); that way, that
>>> discussion does not kill other possible uses that the new architecture
>>> allows.
>
>> +1. This patch is already several years old; lets not delay it further.
>
> I tend to agree with that, but how are we going to test things if there's
> no mechanism to create a table in which the orderings are different?

Physical or logical orderings?

Physical ordering is still determined by the CREATE TABLE command, so
you can do either
   CREATE TABLE order_1 (       a INT,       b INT   );

or (to get the reverse order)
   CREATE TABLE order_2 (       b INT,       a INT   );

Logical ordering may be updated directly in pg_attribute catalog, by
tweaking the attlognum column
   UPDATE pg_attribute SET attlognum = 10    WHERE attrelid = 'order_1'::regclass AND attname = 'a';

Of course, this does not handle duplicities, ranges and such, so that
needs to be done manually. But I think inventing something like
   ALTER TABLE order_1 ALTER COLUMN a SET lognum = 11;

should be straightforward. But IMHO getting the internals working
properly first is more important.

--
Tomas Vondra                http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/