Re: Providing catalog view to pg_hba.conf file - Patch submission - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: Providing catalog view to pg_hba.conf file - Patch submission
Date
Re: Providing catalog view to pg_hba.conf file - Patch submission  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 27.2.2015 17:59, Stephen Frost wrote:
> All,
>
> * Tomas Vondra (tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
>>
>> The other feature that'd be cool to have is a debugging function
>> on top of the view, i.e. a function pg_hba_check(host, ip, db,
>> user, pwd) showing which hba rule matched. But that's certainly
>> nontrivial.
>
> I'm not sure that I see why, offhand, it'd be much more than trivial

From time to time I have to debug why are connection attempts failing,
and with moderately-sized pg_hba.conf files (e.g. on database servers
shared by multiple applications) that may be tricky. Identifying the
rule that matched (and rejected) the connection would be helpful.

But yes, that's non-trivial and out of scope of this patch.

--
Tomas Vondra                http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/