Re: Enable development via Docker - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Enable development via Docker
Date
List pgsql-www
On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 2:50 AM Richard Yen <richyen3@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 23, 2020 at 4:02 PM Richard Yen <richyen3@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Sun, Feb 23, 2020 at 6:27 AM Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>>>

>>> Your second file is named "load varnish", but does not contain
>>> anything about varnish at all -- did you forget something there?
>>

>> Varnish is loaded in the *.sql files in the sql/ folder.  I included that as a part of the postgres container's
initdbmount.  Granted, there's more logic to be handled because there's the dev version of the varnish plpgsql
functionsthat need to be loaded v. the prod version.  I'll work on that when I get a chance--look for a more
comprehensivepatch to come through this thread.

> Just to follow up on this -- in sql/ there's a varnish.sql and a varnish_local.sql.  Is there a reason to use
varnish_local.sqlinstead of varnish.sql while developing?  It's just a bunch of no-op functions, but I can't seem to
seea clear advantage of using varnish_local.sql instead of varnish.sql -- it's not like it would hamper development or
otherwisemake it difficult, would it? Can we do away with varnish_local.sql?

Not really, I think -- not anymore. It used to be a bigger difference
-- when we used pgq it removed a dependency on that.

The only downside now is that your table for varnish purges will
eventually fill up, if you keep at it long enough :)

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: https://www.hagander.net/