Re: 404 for some mbox archives - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: 404 for some mbox archives
Date
List pgsql-www
On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 9:41 PM, Tomas Vondra <tv@fuzzy.cz> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm getting 404 when attempting to download some of the mbox archives.
>
> For example
>
>   http://www.postgresql.org/list/pgsql-admin/mbox/pgsql-admin.199805
>
> works just fine, but this
>
>   http://www.postgresql.org/list/pgsql-admin/mbox/pgsql-admin.199804
>
> fails with 404. Attached is a list of more such examples.

That one simply does not exist.

Why? Because we generate the links to the mbox files based on the
dates of the emails. Clearly we have messages from 199804 that are in
a mbox file from a different date :O

I guess we need to add a check that the file actually exists as well,
and make no silly assumptions about emails being in the correct file
:)

> BTW how does this (mbox archives behind authentication) protect us
> against spam?

Not sure how much it does, but at least now a bot has to spend a bit
more work to actually be able to download it. Most of them likely give
up. And it also keeps people from complaining a bit :)