Re: 404 for some mbox archives - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: 404 for some mbox archives
Date
List pgsql-www
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 9:41 PM, Tomas Vondra <tv@fuzzy.cz> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm getting 404 when attempting to download some of the mbox archives.
> >
> > For example
> >
> >   http://www.postgresql.org/list/pgsql-admin/mbox/pgsql-admin.199805
> >
> > works just fine, but this
> >
> >   http://www.postgresql.org/list/pgsql-admin/mbox/pgsql-admin.199804
> >
> > fails with 404. Attached is a list of more such examples.
>
> That one simply does not exist.
>
> Why? Because we generate the links to the mbox files based on the
> dates of the emails. Clearly we have messages from 199804 that are in
> a mbox file from a different date :O

It seems that back then list boundaries weren't as clearly defined as
they are now.  I checked the emails listed as being in Oct. 1999 (I
think; maybe it was Sept) and the headers had "To: docs@postgresql.org"
instead of pgsql-admin.  There were only two of them.  They were close
to the end of the month (say on the 28th and 29th or something like
that) so maybe they ended up in next month's mbox because they were
delayed because of the resending, or something like that.

I know we used to get email to hackers@postgresql.org and Marc
customarily resent them to pgsql-hackers, for example.