Re: mkid reference - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: mkid reference
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 7:07 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> writes:
> >> On 22 Jan 2021, at 12:56, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> >> And maybe even more interestnig -- is there a point to this whole
> >> make_diff directory at all in these days of git? Or should we just
> >> remove it rather than try to fix it?
>
> > There's also src/tools/make_mkid which use this mkid tool.  +1 for removing.
> > If anything, it seems better replaced by extended documentation on the existing
> > wiki article [0] on how to use "git format-patch".
>
> I found man pages for mkid online --- it's apparently a ctags-like
> code indexing tool, not something for patches.  So maybe Bruce still
> uses it, or maybe not.  But as long as we've also got make_ctags and
> make_etags in there, I don't have a problem with leaving make_mkid.
>
> make_diff, on the other hand, certainly looks like technology whose
> time has passed.  I wonder about pgtest, too.

I'll go kill make_diff then -- quicker than fixing the docs of it.

As for pgtest, that one looks a bit interesting as well -- but it's
been patched on as late as 9.5 and in 2018, so it seems at least Bruce
uses it :)

While at it, what point is "codelines" adding?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: https://www.hagander.net/